Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Michigan Dream Team is Here!!!


Ike brought the bag that Mary had made for Alondra and gave it to her. At first she was all smiles and then she wept. So did I. She is not used to having someone fuss over her. It was very touching.




So...after that, Alondra quickly took Ike's pic from the poster and treasures it!




Our first meal and first prayer time together!




The TC group's flight was delayed several times and they didn't make it here until late in the night. The FBC group drove through the night to get here and were pretty whipped. So, after I finally felt strong enough to get out of bed to greet everyone...this is what I found! So cute!!!














I think Chilo is practicing!!!




Marta, the baby's mother is sick with the flu, so I took the baby up to where we were staying for the afternoon to give her a break. Chad didn't mind helping out!




Handing out gifts from home.




Mary Ellen taking a pic of Marcela's new earrings!




Sid packing up to head back to Kentucky. What a job that is!




Sorting through all the luggage...once it finally arrived!




The power cord to my laptop died when I finally felt well enough to post on the blog. So...at the last minute I had to make a quick trip into Chihuahua to buy another one. We had a few tag-a-longs!





Enjoying the sights of Chihuahua!




Julian and Ike




Pete enjoying the evening meal with the children.




Dinner at the brothers! Hey Micah and Vito...jealous???? It was a great time!



YUM!

Stacey and her authentic Crush! She was a happy girl! ...Ain't nothing like the real thing, baby!!! Oops...that might be another brand. :)




We invited some staff and teens to join us!





Pete ate some HOT jalapenos and he broke out into a giant sweat!!!




An experienced grandma holding Alan!




Ice cream afterwards!




Silvia & Jed are feeding ice cream to baby Alan!




YUM!!!


We are up and running (at least the computer is running)! This has been a crazy few days...and it's not going to slow down. Today the Michigan team hit the work projects full force and things are happening! The plumbing is 3/4 done, electric 1/2 done and the stripping is almost complete for the drywall to go up on Monday. The bunkbeds are well underway and the people down here are amazed. It's because of the dream team we have. Todd is the task master on the apartments and he doesn't know how to slow down. (Micah...you might be glad you aren't here. Your work gloves might have gotten dirty for the first time today (maybe)! :)

The luggage for the TC group arrived the morning after they arrived, which was a blessing. They took it all in stride!!!

Please pray for the sickness down here. The children and staff are suffering so. Many of the young children have fevers that spike high in the night. Several members of the Kentucky group spent hours with the children, bathing down high fevers, administering meds and comforting them. I am so thankful for their love and self-sacrifice. They left today...many with fevers themselves from their exposure. After experiencing the flu, I have to admit that the thought of getting it is definitelyy worse than the actual experience. Rosa came down with the flu yesterday and is not doing well. What really tugged at my heart was watching Marta in bed with her high fever, trying to care for her baby. We have tried to take the baby to give her a break, but the baby does not take the bottle. Today there were more children eating, but still the majority of children are still sick. You remember what it is like when the flu passes through your family? Well...when you family has 145 members...it is crazy. More than half of the staff is sick today as well. May God have mercy!

Now that the flu is behind me and my computer is now working again, I am hoping to post more tomorrow. We have a full day with a picnic...for those who feel like eating. But, the Lord willing, I am hoping to put up more pics on the blog...and maybe some videos. Thanks for your patience!

10 comments:

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

Well you had me in tears again. Then again Lily has a way of doing that to you. Thanks for Posting.

fred said...

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....that picture of Ike and Julian are a definete Kodak moment, brings a tear to a grown man....I Love it...almost wish I were there...fighting a hurt arm here...feel like a wimp. Praying God Has his way and am sure the kids are loving it. They re-coop a lot faster than us...Regards to moma and Poppa...Tell him I got the book and am enjoying it.

Mary said...

Thank you, Thank you for the pictures
Grandkids like seeing their Papa in Mexico sharing his love. I'm so glad Alondra liked her purse and new friend. I can't wait to see more. I pray sickness to go quickly. Wish I was there.

Rocio said...

Thank you so much for posting these pictures! Here in TC we really appreciate seeing all of our loved ones and knowing that they are safe. Thank soo much! Hope the flu passes fast. God BLess!

Leone Powell said...

Word from Tammy Stricker. She thanks you for the news and information about the Traverse City group! May all of those suffering from the flu recover quickly and may everyone else be protected from sickness. So many here are praying for you all.

Lauren Taylor said...

We made it home. Milli and I are at home trying to get well, and Merm went to church. We had no problems on the drive home, I don't think...I hardly remember any of it. I was on Nyquil most of the way. Apparently I scared a couple girls that worked at a gas station near Memphis, TN when I gave them a little too much information about being sick from a bunch of orphans in Mexico. Oops. Milli assured them that I didn't have the swine flu. Milli said that I looked "scary."

Anyway...

It was so good to spend time with you, Linda! Despite the sickness, I think this has been my favorite week long trip yet. Wish I was still there to help the staff and kids get through this sick spell! Praying for both the Mexicans and Americans!

Buenas Noches.

Tammy said...

Hey everyone, finally at a computer. Linda thank you for writing to tell all of us in TC that the teams all made it safely! Praise God!!! I'm praying for a quick recovery to the ones who are sick and restoration of health for everyone and Gods protection. WOWWWW, God is so GOOD giving you all so much strength getting so much work done and so fast!!!!! Oh, Linda you are so right, Dan and Cody do look so cute resting!!! Let everyone know I'm praying and knowing Gods protection is reigning over each of you. Love on those beautiful children and continue the gracious hands and feet of CHRIST. Much Love and Prays sending your way , Tammy Stricker

Barb said...

Wellness prayers to all of those sick and may the sick passover the others. Love the picks...praying especially for Jed and Ike.
What a great picture of Ike and Olandra....wonder what that means...I have on old picture of Fred's first visit with a sibbling group of three...wonder what ever happened to them (LOL)

Anonymous said...

Alondra is beaming....I loved that picture! Praying for health for all the teams there, and definitely the kids. Chad, you are a natural. ;)

Shari W. said...

Thank you for the pictures! We are praying for you.