MICHIGAN BOUND!!!! YIPPEE!!! THANK YOU, JESUS!!!
As I am writing this, 3 of our team members are at the border, trying to bring Alberto and Marcos home. I have talked to the Lord about this all morning...and now I am waiting for a call. In a few minutes I will hear if they made it across with the boys. I am leaning very heavily on the promise in God's Word that says, "Commit to the Lord whatever you do and your plans will succeed." I think the secret of this verse is that these were not my 'plans'. God opened doors and I'm just a servant trying to walk through the doors with some children. My 'Mexico passage' of scripture says, "Listen! The Lord's arm is not too weak to save you, not is His ear too deaf to hear you call."
We have been running on very little sleep...and last night our guys sounded like Jr. High girls giggling up a storm. At that point I just got in bed after 10:20 ...and tried not to listen but I couldn't help but laugh at the pathetic little things they were hysterically laughing at. Sorta scarey. :)
THEY ARE ACROSS THE BORDER! THANK YOU, JESUS! "O Sovereign Lord!!! You made the heavens and earth by your strong hand and powerful arm. Nothing is too hard for you!!!"
"Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heaven! Praise Him for His mighty works; praise His unequaled greatness! Praise him with a blast of the ram's horn; praise him with the lyre and harp! Praise Him with the tambourine and dancing: praise Him with strings and flutes! Praise him with a clash of cymbals; praise Him with loud clanging cymbals. Let everything that breathes sing praises to the Lord! Praise the LORD!!!"
A huge weight has been lifted and I feel like I can take a deep breath now. I am in awe of my BIG God! It sounds like Pastor Mark had to do a lot of fast talking...but we all know that he was the right man for the job! Those men were not planning on leaving those kids back in Mexico!
Yesterday the day began with a big celebration for their big "Independence Day" (20th of November). There were parades, celebrations...and all the kids were pumped. Just before the parade began I realized I needed to be in Chihuahua for some last minute paperwork, thanks to Micah's reminder (I had misunderstood something with Alex) so Vito took me there in a hurry. Only 16 minutes from the gates of Lily (We flew just under radar). It was a huge time crunch...as usual because of the office closing at 1:00. After we arrived the parade in Chihuahua was starting and streets were blocked. Vito let us jump out of his truck right outside the governmental building and Alex yelled something about the 5th floor. He took off running...and I paused at the elevator and he said, no...we don't have time to wait. So off we went running up to the 5th floor with the documents. He handed the papers over to a lady, she reviewed them and then told us they would approve them. I started to sit down and Alex said, now we must hurry to the other building to pay before they will actually begin the paperwork. I was still gasping for air from the climb...but flying down the stairs was a bit easier. Alex and I decided that I would wait for Vito outside the building to let him know where we are. Vito circled a few times...but there was no parking spot. So, I sat on the steps expecting Alex to return in a few seconds...but no Alex. Little did I realize that the building he had to go to was across the parade route...and people are not allowed to cross the parade route (showing a disrespect to the government). In fact, there are armed soldiers with guns that will assure no one will disrupt the parade. Alex ran up and down the street and finally persuaded a police officer to allow him to cross. To make a long story short...he finally made it back 20 minutes before the place closes. When he came back Vito was parked the truck and was with me. Alex took off running up to the 5th floor. I trotted..at first...but then Vito and I just ended up in a brisk walk... and finally made it. No words were exchanged...just gasping sounds came from our lungs!!! :) (It will be good to be home again and start my exercise routine! I am out of shape!) The last few minutes were filled with stamping and finalizing documents with the apostille. Vito drove us home and we had a few minutes to rest before gathering all the last minute documents for the boys. We then took Marcos and Alberto to say goodbye to his family and pick up Alberto. Since some of the team wanted to go to the souvenier store...I thought we could combine the trip. Most of our team came and we pulled up to Marcos and Alberto's home. We were all greeted with love. (Marcos and Alberto's mom/grandma/sister have totally changed and are now experiencing God's peace.) The team stayed there for a few minutes...long enough to realize the loss that was taking place. We left for a brief 'shopping' trip while they said their good-byes. Feeling like the mission was accomplished, we celebrated with a hamburger from Burger King (YUM!). At about 9:45 we arrived home with the boys and took them down to Pastor Mark, Sid and John's suite where a bed was prepared for the boys. The boys were so excited...especially Beto...since he talked to his new Papa, Al (by phone). Anyway, I left them with the boys and briefly went over the important documents . To make a long story short...I'm taking a nap today...after I finish packing...and maybe cookies...and taking the kids out for ice cream. Maybe I'll just get to sleep earlier tonight. Who cares! The boys are finally 'home'. Again...I thank You, Jesus!
The Team accomplished everything we were hoping for, even more. The building will be completely enclosed with windows, doors and a roof. The next work team who comes down will be working inside! Yippee!
Yes, we have heard of the snow in Michigan. Yuck. How spoiled we are. It's time to pack. I can think of about 135 reasons to stay, but the plane leaves tomorrow morning. I have to leave one family to be reunited to my other family! Whether I am in Michigan or Mexico...I am excited and I also cry. Jesus, I give the precious staff and children to You. Please kiss them all goodnight for me and keep them safe and warm.
What will I miss besides the sweet kisses and hugs from the children? Casual coffee chats of those who are addicted, Chris' gymnastic talents while floating up to her bunk with pointed toes, Vito and Estephen's silly giggles, John's silent tears, Vito and Micah discussing their movements, the 'honeymooners' glances, Sid's taxi service, Micah's 'strainer' ideas and pillow talks with my new sisters. Deep in my heart I know that this is not the last I will see of these prayer warriors, the MI-KEN-OAKIE dream team. We have just barely written the introduction to our book.
Stay tuned...more pics to download and perhaps more thoughts as time permits.
7 comments:
Praise God!!! I am so thankful for all your hard work to get those kids adopted and across the border!!! God is so amazing!!!
linda, when you planned this trip, did you ever dreamed it'd be this big? wow.
dream, i mean
The picture of Beto calling his new "Papa" makes me cry...tears of joy, of course! Ahhhh this is so amazing. God is awesome...what else can possibly be said?? Cannot wait to hear all the stories.
We have great, big, wonderful God and YOU ROCK!!!
I think I've cried approx. 35 times today. and this time i'm NOT exaggerating!
There are not sufficient words for this!
I called my dad this morning and he put Beto and Marcos on the phone. They were both so excited. When I asked them if they were scared, they both said no. This is all so beautifully miraculous. They're staying with a great family tonight and eating breakfast with my little brother in the morning. How cool!
I praise the Lord for the grace He's shown all of us in being involved in this... even if its from far, far away.
Linda, I praise God for the amazing ways He is using you.
Linda, when we first got the call from Gary about the citizenship we were just a few hours from visitation for Gma G, with the funeral the next day. It was Sunday I finally had a chance to just sit and be quiet. Al was in a meeting after church. So I just sat at the front of the sanctuary and tried to be still. I remembered that last January when our church had the "pray them home" emphasis for the kids at Lily, I had been reading in Isaiah and had underlined several verses. So I went and got my Bible to see if they were "manna" for this situation too. I opened to Is. 44: 1-5, (New Living Translation) which is a prayer for my children. At the top of the same page I had written "LOV II kids Jan 2008 Pray them home" next to this verse:
"But forget all that (i.e. the Red Sea crossing). It is nothing compared to what I am going to do. For I am about to do a brand new thing. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness for my people to come home." Is. 43:18-19
All last week that phrase "I am about to do a brand new thing" kept going through my mind.
This past Monday I was in the Ladies' Bible Study class (Daniel, by Beth Moore...GREAT!!) and was looking in Jeremiah for something totally non-Lily related when this verse jumped off the page. It had also been underlined last January. "There is hope for your future, says the Lord. Your children will come again into their own land." Jer. 31:17 NLT
The word of the Lord was fulfilled today when Marcos and Beto crossed back into the United States.
Please pray that Isaiah 44 will be true of all NINE of my children "I will pour out my Spirit and my blessings on your children. They will thrive like watered grass, like willows on a riverbank. Some will proudly claim, 'I belong to the Lord.' Others will say, 'I am a descendant of Jacob.' Some will write the Lord's name on their hands and will take the honored name of Israel as their own."
We have truly felt the prayers of God's people this week. I've gone from shell-shock and terror (after all this is supposed to take a year or two) through acceptance to excitement. We are lifted up and carried by the everlasting arms, arms which moved in response to the prayers of God's people. "Thank you" hardly seems adequate.
God bless you as you have blessed us, all of you.
Post a Comment