Monday, January 21, 2008



Raphael on a un John Deere...just practicing.




Ramon with a red hair day...



Angel, Leslie and Manuel



Josmar and Emmanuel...the sweet boys who were abandoned...still waiting for a mommy and daddy...



Sweet Emmanuel



Osmara and her sweet smile.



The beautiful Marcela with such a gentle heart.




She won´t show her teeth so we can tell who it is...Cielo or Briza...



What twin is it...



Marta and her winning smile...



Ahhh...it´s Cielo



Brenda and Adilene



Gustavo, Leslie and Manuel



Leslie and Manuel



Belem at the wheel...yikes



Proud student driver...



Belem, Javier and uncle Gary...doing the driver´s training thing...




A Mennonite choir came and sang for us yesterday. It was quite awesome to hear their accapello voices. They love these kids...and brough lots for food. It was much needed.



They loved our kids and their hugs at the senior home we visited!



They love ministry...because their papa has taught them to.



Here is the name of the home...your guess is probably better than mine.



Gabby and Johana



Briseda and Rebecca



Group of ´missionaries´visiting the senior home in Chihuahua



Cecilia, Ruby, Silvia, Margarita and Leticia just having fun like girlfriends do.



Who can resist Tonito...



A little princess with her baby doll sleeping in the bus after a busy day.



Silvia and Rolando with someone´s forgotten grandma.

"But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus...the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God."

Gary and I have begun the book that our Pastor, Mark Looman, gave to us before we left. It is entitled, “Follow Me”, written by Jan David Hettinga. I skimmed through it and now Gary and I are going through it together. (By the way, we highly recommend it for you to read.) At the very beginning a question is posed, “Is Jesus worth following?” Then it is backed by a second question, “If He is, why don’t we follow Him?” These simple questions have stirred something deep in both of us. We tend to think we are ‘following Him’ when we are actually way behind Him, dragging ‘stuff’ with us. But He is asking for a stirring, passionate, reckless abandon as we follow Him. What is our excuse to our Maker and Creator of the universe? I thought it was easier for these children to do this because they have a very simple faith and nothing to hold on to. But the longer I am with them, I realize that they have many huge things they are holding on to as well….huge hurts and unfulfilled longings. God is wanting us to leave all our ‘stuff’, whether it be possessions or broken dreams, and wildly run after Him. As you are lacing up your tennis shoes to begin this race...be sure to leave every door of your heart open. Some of these ‘doors’ have been shut tight for so long, we can hardly remember what’s behind them…but we are giving them to Jesus. Will you join us? After devotions this morning one of the smaller girls asked me to catch her as she jumped off a top step. I didn’t even have a chance to reply…and she threw herself into the air with her arms wide open. And, of course I caught her. As I remember her zeal, I pray, “Jesus, I want this faith! You ARE worth following.”

Last night one of the boys, who has been deeply hurt by his mother, spent several hours with Ed and Rosa praying. He came into devotions this morning with a big smile on his face…a very evident change has taken place in his life. Please keep praying for this boy as he is letting go of a very abusive past. God knows his name.

Another prayer request I would like to share is the very cold weather we have been having. We do not have a thermometer here, which is probably good. But, the water from the dripping hose has been frozen for several days. The wind has been fierce and the children are so cold. It’s one thing to be cold outside, but to be frozen in your ‘home’ is another realm that many of you have never experienced. There is absolutely no where to go to get warm. Right now most all of the water is cold water, because of needed repairs to the hot water heaters. Most of the children shower in cold water, have wet hair and only 2 or 3 layers of regular clothes on in freezing temperatures. Some of the lucky ones have coats, but not everyone. Some only have a fleece or a sweatshirt. Right now we are seeing green snotty noses and many of the children are coughing. Gary and I are working hard to find jackets for the kids, but there just isn’t enough. The ironic thing is that the building has a heating system…but there is no extra money for propane. Heat is a luxury. Please help us pray about this.

Our family is going through a crisis right now and I ask for prayer. Satan is fighting but we are determined to serve God down here.

6 comments:

Merm's blog said...

i love hearing your stories and seeing your pictures. I am praying for you all! Let me know if there are more specific ways I can pray...
and tell those kids (specifically our girls!) that we love them and talk about them EVERY DAY!
We hope to be down there for a visit within a month or so. get ready. :)

Lauren Taylor said...

goodness. i have tears, seeing the kids and hearing what's going on. thanks for taking the time to share with us. i have to say, it's very weird to be on this side of things. i'm praying for you and gary- for what He has for you there. and for the warmth and health of the kids and staff. yes, please tell the girls we miss them terribly and talk about them constantly. can't help it.

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

Thanks for the pictures. I could stare at the one of Martha for hours. We called our expecting grandparents and said to go look at our newest sonogram photo. But, about Belem driving...what are Momma & Pappa thinking??? Just kidding. Could you tell them all hi from us and that we hope to be coming soon.

Anonymous said...

FYI. Ever translated the senior citizen home's sign for me: "a small corner, sort of hidden, of the heart" (first line)
"Home/house for old people"(2nd line)

Unknown said...

Gary and Linda,
Dot and I are praying for you daily, often more. We have a board meeting tonight, Gary, 6:30, be there.
I was encouraged to see that you have been reading "Follow Me". There are some wonderful surprises in store for you. I have just finished reading chapter 20. My heart was pounding when I finished. It left me with an absolute determination to submit my entire life to the control of King Jesus. He is the only leader I can fully trust!

Give my love to Margarita, Silvia, Lupita, and Nicolas.

Becky Smith said...

Linda & Gary,
We're praying. We were there one year at Christmas time and about froze! My heart goes out to all of you! We will pray that the weather warms up and that somehow funds would come in to get some heat there. It is so necessary!!
Becky Smith