Thursday, February 18, 2010

God loves broken messed up people!


Abuelita and 'Dawn-o'




'Jaime' doing some boy-time!




Samuel at the wheel!




Luis grabs the best seat!




Alexandria and Alondra




...a little bit camera shy!




Alondra





Dawn-o and her angels




Maggie, 'Jaime' and Ruby




Briza, 'Nico' and Israel




Loving on Tonito and Alondra




Lorena...just make a direct deposit in my bank account for this pic! =)




Briza, 'Nico' and Karen




Wish you could have heard the giggles!




Pete and his kids!




'Jaime' and his fan club




Yes, Chilo...Abulardo is still here!




Gabby at breakfast




Double joy! Jackie and Beatrice




Tio Gary and a Princess!




One crazy guy!




Pete was our entertainment in the kitchen while Dawn and I were waiting for the cinnamon rolls to bake.




Bonita Brenda




The bottom of my shoes after making the cinnamon rolls! Oh my!!!




The newest 'Kitchen-Aide' Mixer. He worked up a sweat!




Note the only happy face...Pete!





Tia Lidia and Hosea Edwards...loo




Making cinnamon rolls...




Sandwich assembly line




"Who wants mayo?"




Maggy and her tio Gary




Dawn-o...couldn't resist this great pic! =)




Pete...such a delicate man!




'Nico' after downing chocolate chip cookies on a shopping trip...




Tia Lidia's message




Feliz Pollo = YUMMMM!!!




Bryan and Abulardo




'Nico' after the rapture???




Micah...this one is for you!!!




Ana reading. The new library has extra books donated for teens as well! I might add that many of the books are already checked out! Horray!!!







Maggie




Ruby




Ruby and the 3-footed puppy




Pastor Saulo and his wife and 'Nico'




'Nico's' work...grout and cement patching




Crazy 'Pedro'




'Jaime'




Pablo learning how to play whiffle ball




"Pumba" and me




'Jaime' and Silvia




Janny and Nohema




Jorge




'Jaime' loving on little Beatrice




"cuteness"




Nico and Karen



"Your Kingdom is an everlasting Kingdom, and your dominion endures through all generations. The Lord is faithful to all His promises and loving toward all He has made.

I have a friend who has a song that says God loves broken messed-up people. I am here because of that and I'm still learning.But today I am also thankul for His patience with me. Please allow me to explain. Yesterday morning I again asked the Lord to direct my path and direct my words. Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined what He had in store!!! Silvia, Nico and Lupita's dad came to visit along with their older brother Hosea and Maggie (who now lives with them). I had heard they may visit but quite often things never happen. When I saw them talking at the gate, I felt this sudden surge of anger towards this man because all the pain he has caused in his family. Out of politeness I walked over to them and had the easy conversation, "Good afternoon, how are you, etc." Immediately the Lord prompted me to tell this man about Him. My soul protested and I honestly wanted to kick dirt in his face. I spun around and went to Maggie and gave her a big hug and told her I missed her. Then, again, the Lord prompted me to tell Silvia's dad about God. I had a million excuses..."I don't speak Spanish well enough." "I don't like this man." "God...do you remember what he has done to these precious kids?!!!" Again, the Holy Spirit said..."Tell Him about Me." I looked at this hardened man and asked him if I could tell him about my Heavenly Father. He stared at me blankly for a few moments and then then gave a small nod. I began to talk with him about the difference between a religion and a relationship with a Living God. The Lord gave me the gift of language for several minutes, but I wanted to go deeper. So I asked one of the children to get tio Willy and he came to interpret for me. The Lord annointed that time and the words flowed freely. Soon I noticed tears streaming down this mans hardened face. I told him that I saw the same anger and emptiness in his eyes that I saw in Silvia's eyes before she surrendered her life to Christ. Soon his oldest Son, Hosea, stood closely and listened as well as Nico. I explained that a life of sin causes guilt and leaves you feeling empty. I also explained how the misery of sin not only affects your life but the lives of your family. The only way that the emptiness can be filled and replaced with joy and peace is by surrendering your life to God. It was then that he began weeping. I told him that he has been a terrible example for his children to follow, but he now had the opportunity to become a Good example by following God. I reminded him that all of his children were watching him...especially his boys...and not only his life, but the lives of his children could change direction in light of eternity. After quite a bit of time standing there, tears freely flowing down his face, that he said he wanted a relationship with God and he wanted to pray right then. So, near the gate, we sat down on the curb. With Tio Willy still interpreting, Juan was led in a prayer of repentance and gave his life to Jesus. Towards the end...he began praying on his own...and it was awesome. Satan was battling this encounter the entire time because I had a contractor 'patiently' waiting for me right outside the gate to go to a hardware store in Aldama and I felt pressure to hurry. But, thank heaven, we were in Mexico...and a 'few minutes' can take an hour. I asked Silvia to get her Bible and she read several verses out of the Bible to her dad. In fact, she sent her precious bible home with her dad. He cannot read, nor his son, but Maggie can read some. I asked that he comes back a few more times the next couple of weeks so we can talk further about God and he agreed. It is hard to disciple someone when they can't read. So, please help me pray that we can get him hooked up with a good church. Sorry about rambling on. To God be ALL the glory! I shared all of this because "...God IS loving toward all He has made." He loves the vilest of sinners and we need to love them to. Oh that I would see EVERYONE through HIS eyes. Father, help me!

The Michiana team is helping to finish up the Americano apartments for groups arriving next month. There is still much that needs done. Gary was feeling a little stressed about the work-load until the Lord sent angels to help. Five men from a ministry in Juarez 'appeared'...unscheduled as far as I know, to help Lily with any needed projects. For all of you who have seen the bodega (big storage building), they helped clean and organize it...even the area all around it. Now they are staying a few days longer and to help run the sewer pipes, digging trenches, electric, etc. Gary is thrilled since he seems to be spending all his time on the road driving for errands or repairing vehicles. This morning Gary was the milk man and mechanic instructor to Samuel as the maroon van needed front brakes and a ball joint. Back to the angels from Juarez. I can't remember the name of this ministry, but let me share a little bit about it. This is a home for men who have experienced substance abuse. During the night, the godly men of this home go out into the streets, sewers and gutters to rescue the down-and-outters...those who are high or drunk. They lovingly carry these men over their shoulders back to their house and give them a place to sleep, shower and then feed them. It is then that they share with these men about the love of Jesus. Gary stayed in this house one night with Papa a couple of years ago to visit. Gary said it's a very humble place but their have fire in their hearts for God. Then, periodicly, those men who have been rehabilitated, are taken on 'mission trips' to help out orphanages, convolesent homes or churches. They truly have servants hearts and bless many people. After hearing about this, it puts so many of us to shame. What a 'safe' and easy life we live for God.

The ovens in the kitchen do NOT work properly. Yesterday afternoon...after many days of listening to the children beg for cinnamon rolls, I decided to take the afternoon to make them. Dawno said she would help...along with several hundred children (or so it seemed). We preheated the ovens 3 hours in advance (after the bad luck with the coffee cake on Monday) and had a great time making the cinnamon rolls. Our goal was to have them ready for 6:30 supper. We also purchased sandwich makings, cheese curls and pork rinds for the kids for supper...to make it a fun evening. Well, the kids had a great time...but the crazy cinnamon rolls wouldn't cook. We had the convection oven turned up to 500 degrees (usually only set the oven to 350) and the first batch of rolls were in the oven for 1 1/2 HOURS! So...you know how my night was spent. Dawn and I finished taking the last batch out of the oven at 10:30 last night. (That explains no blog update last night!) We are el-tired-o! So, I am hoping to remind Brenda today to call the oven guy...he was just hired to repair this not too long ago. I'm voting for a recall!

Yesterday it was very warm...and pleasant. I personally love the sunshine and blue sky. It was t-shirt weather...and no one complained! Almost time for deoderant! :)

Jaime, Pedro and Neal have found their new calling. They help out in the kitchen every morning preparing breakfast. So...I hope their wives are reading this blog. This should mean breakfast in bed for you gals from now on! Remember...lives ARE transformed!!!

Dawno let her hair down yesterday. Chris and Jenney...you'll have to ask more about this when she gets home.

Mama and Papa have arrived safely to their place of rest. Please help us pray for their complete healing. They have a great staff here who are very capable of caring for the children in their absence.

If you could only see the joy in the hearts of these children when the Americanos are here. The little boys have really enjoyed horsing around with the men...and just being boys! They need that physical sporting...and wrestling stuff. But these men are gentle teddy-bears with the little girls. I've head many giggles and happy noises this week. Dawn has been a mommy to many...as well as a mentor. I've seen the Michiana team reach out and form great lasting relationships with children and staff. Lives have been touched and forever changed...all because of Jesus. Remember...when you live among orphans, you are rubbing shoulders with those who are most precious to God...and you will never be the same.

P.S. I've got a great video for you Martha and Adrian...hope to get it posted as soon as I can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright, I'm not easy but I can be had. OK..OK, what's your bank account number, better yet, the check's in the mail.

It's great to hear how the Lord is using you down there, keep up the good work. We'll keep praying for all of you.

Keep the pics coming please. They really make my day.

Debdools said...

Awwwww....thanks Linda for the picture of mi bonita consuegra Lidia!!!! If you wanted to give her a hug for me, I wouldn't mind!!!! God bless you and Gary, and those you work with. Thanks again!! Deb Dooley

yourziggy said...

Linda, I am SOOO enjoying reading your posts, as always. What an amazing story to hear about Sylvia Maggie Lupita and Nico's dad - God works wonders! Thank you for always sharing!
Jackie (in Massachusetts)

fred said...

Great things are happening, Glory to God! Love those cinnamon rolls, almost could tolerate the cold for one and am glad you had a warm day, trusting you will have many more. I always knew Rog was on the take and wondered when he would admit it. Keep up the good works and say hey to Alex,put some"knee" pressure on the courts for the Rileys...You know, like Pray.Hello to the staff and all at Lily , they are always in our devotions.

Lauren Taylor said...

your "ramblings" are always worth reading, linda. i praise god for your boldness to share with sylvia's dad and i pray that his repentence was true and that he will keep coming back so that he can be discipled. reading this blog after spending time with the lord has been a great start to my work day. thanks, as always, for the post. praying for you guys today!