Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Humility hurts...


Ramon worked very hard to get on this skateboard.




See his wheelchair in the background and how far he crawled? He wants to be like the other boys so badly!




A plastered Samuel. The mud is supposed to end up on the wall...




PM&D...Johana got your letter...




and so did Maggie and Silvia.




Briza...trying to figure out her homework.




Marta arriving home from school.




Oliver...as you can see below, he is very artistic.




He just needs a mom and dad who will encourage him in this direction.




Juanita & Julian




Treasure hunting...




Friends...Emmanuel, Pablo and Armondo




Armondo, who is in Kindergarten and learning how to tie his shoes!!!




Haircut for Abuela!




Jackie filling up her bottle.



This evening I have experienced what many children have...a haircut from the hair styling school who donates several hours here a month. I felt like one of the kids in the respect is that I sat down there and I had no say. I tried to tell them I wanted it trimmed. But, I ended up with my hair 1 1/2 inches long...on top and pretty much shaved elsewhere. As I saw my hair fall down, I was reminded of the day last October when many girls had their heads shaved because of lice. I remember how they were fighting off tears...some even cried out loud...a few we even had to hold down. Tonight I felt like one of those helpless little girls who was watching all her hair fall off. Yes, I could have gotten up and told them to stop, but I didn't want to shame the orphanage. So, I just sat there until they took the apron off. I graciously thanked them and walked over to the house...choking back tears. I was afraid to look in the mirror...but when I finally did, I wept. I'm a grown woman...why does this matter? I'm afraid it is pride. More was cut off tonight than just my hair. Why should I be different than any one of these precious kids? Every ounce of their sense of worth often gets shaved off...and we wonder why they cry. Father, forgive me for not crying more with them when they suffer a loss. Thank you for letting me drink from their cup this evening.

I don't know if anyone ever reads this blog, but it has been very helpful for me to reflect on things. I'll have more pics later. Things aren't downloading very quickly.

9 comments:

fred said...

Hi there pretty lady, I read your comments and so do a lot of other people....I just didnt know how to get on here....My wife showed me how....now I cant stay off. I engoy especially reading your comments and how GOD is working in your life, you make me shed a tear from your honesty and frankness,....we all learn from you. May the LORD draw you nearer as you give him complete control of your life. Your rewards in Heaven are unmeasureable, not because you worked for them , but because of the Grace of GOD whom knows your heart. GOD richly Bless you and Gary.

Anonymous said...

We read here too. Al has learned to navigate my bookmarks to find this page, but not how to comment yet. :)
Nevertheless, we're reading and praying. Love to you all.

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

We are glued to the screen. It is the best thing we have ever watched. We are always excited when there are new postings. We search each other out and sit together and read it. I think between the two of us we check it 4-5 times a day.

I can understand the hair thing. I didn't think it was too bad for the girls either, but as their hair is growning out you can see the difference in them. It shows in their smile now that they feel prettier again. Thanks for letting us learn with you.
Chad & Christi

fred said...

Hola Linda,This is from Barb....
As I read the blog, it reminded me of the book I am reading..."Do you think I am beautiful" It is all about how God loves us in spite of ourselves. One passage reads..But God answers and says, "I see you. I see you when you stumble through the night to take care for the sick and afraid. I see you day after day in the bleachers, on the sidelines, in the balcony, praying and caring and cheering. I watched you prepare the food no one ate. I was with you when you worked past exhaustion. I knew the truth when you felt misunderstood. I cried in your disappointment, I held you when you thought you were alone. I never take My eyes off of you"
Isaiah 54:10 says,,"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken or my covenant of peace be removed," says the Lord, who has compassion on me'

Unknown said...

Humility always hurts---
But then God ALWAYS lifts up the hurting one. I think that the key to hurting is deciding where to let the hurt land. If we let the hurt land in our soul/spirit we slowly wither and the life seeps away from us... our light goes out. If we let the hurt land in our ego, and we learn to submit to the pain and pray for God to be glorified in it we literally walk alongside Jesus Christ. THAT fellowship is the very best that life has to offer.

Thank you for showing the pics of the girls reading their letters.

How far are you in "Follow Me" ?
I can hardly think of a better combination --> reading this book while being at the Lily.....

We continue to pray for you always.

I sent an email which contains the contact info on the Indian orphanage.

P. Mark

Anonymous said...

This is Rog: Isn't it amazing how the Lord changes our priorities after being exposed to the Lily. What we used to think was important, no longer is. Why did He wait so long, or were'nt we listening? But I think your on to something. I think everyone going to Lily should have hair no longer than 1 1/2". What do think? That's why God made hats with big Chevy Bow-Ties on them. Love you guys!! We WILL see you soon.

Mark and Chandra said...

I am at work right now with tears just a flowin...I remember holding Anna as they cut all her hair off and she wept and wept. I cried with her because I knew what that was doing to her. She was just as beautiful when they were done as I'm sure you are too!!

As far as people reading the blog...I know there are many. Mark and I cannot wait to see what new pictures are posted everyday, but we also wait in anticipation for what you have to say. You tell the every day stories that allow us into the kids lives. It just makes us love them all the more!

fred said...

Hey Linda, I think Rog has a wonderful idea....every one who has hair longer than 1 1/2 inches should have it cut off....I'm ok.. it's the other guys....you know, Hair isn't every thing, listen to the hair less guys speaking....it's the person on the "inside" or under neath the hair thats where its at....and Lady, you pass with 110%.... You are Beautiful inside and out !!! ( I wonder if my wife will read this) ... But, ....put your pic on here with your new hair do, would like to see it. GOD didnt ask me if I wanted long hair or not, at least , yours will grow back....me....I can go to K-mart and buy some...Moe Blogs...look forward to seeing them,,,,and the comments too....its better than the primaries....Bah !

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

I think requiring that everyone that goes down to Lily gets their hair cut to 1 1/2 inch or shorter might inhibit people from signing up for the next mission trip. (My self included-christi.)
Ha Ha Ha!