Monday, February 18, 2008

My name is Linda...not Samson!


A slightly overloaded van this morning...




Karen...is the hair color stuff supposed to look like this??????? :)




It looks so thick with lumps of gooey stuff.




A happy Nohema that is hoping for beautiful rich brown hair...I just pray that she still has some hair when it's done.




The other girls hid in the bathroom because they didn't want their pic taken with their hair color plastered in it. Can't say I blame them. :)




Erika, Fabiola and Elveda




Ramon and Erika




Luce loves her picture taken. Bill Hegg...we need you down here again!




Alondra and Maggie




Marsela...such a sweet girl!



Praise the Lord, all the children made it to school on time. If they are more than 10 minutes late, or don't have their backpack, they are not allowed to stay. Somehow all the kids ended up in the right places and they all had their backpacks. Papa used the Mercedes...with one of the duallys blown out. He just took 20 kids and drove very slow. It was unstable but he was very careful. The blue van did better today...because it was warmer. Gary said that warmer weather helps sick trannys. Also Mark and Jean used their rental car, the new Mass. couple, Keith and Becky used their rental car. A few kids were transported in the back of the blue pickup and after several trips for everyone...the kids were delivered! Gary and Mark are working on the bus and hoping to get it running for the afternoon pick up time.

This morning for devotions with the children, we used the entire time to offer thanks to God. He has proven Himself over and over and yet we are so lacking in our thanksgiving. Gary and I are also learning much more about faith. It is one thing to say you have faith in God...and another thing to live like you do...totally depending on Him for everything. Yesterday(we missed out on it because it was our day off and I WAS POSTING THE BLOG...Fred and Rog...please note...), Ed and Rosa took the children for a walk to the new girls dorm building site. The foundations are up and they are beginning the walls this week. Soon, they will have spent all the money set aside for this project and they will be totally dependent on God to supply the rest, so they had the kids silently walk around the property seven times and pray during that time that God would supply the money needed to finish the buildings. I don't know about you, but I am excited to see what is going to happen. God has always provided here because they are totally depenedent on Him. I really believe that being so self sufficient (like we are in the states) is a curse. We don't see God's fingerprints on our provisions and we 'run' our own life. He needs to be the air we breathe.

The first month we were here, we had days when we were sure that this is what God had in store for us permanently. Then, there were days when we were scratching our heads wondering what good we're doing. Two years ago when I was here with Jean and Priscilla, I was doing a bible study in Isaiah. I was looking up a scripture reference and read the wrong passage by 'mistake'. What I turned to was Isaiah 58:10-12....not Isaiah 59:10-12. To make a long story short...the scripture in Isaiah 58 really ministered to my heart and I felt like it was the Lord speaking to me about our ministry here at Lily. Well, today I was reading that very scripture again in my devotions and landed on the last verse...which always seemed confusing to me. But Gary and I went on a walk last evening and were talking about our ministry here. It is definitely an Aaron ministry to Ed and Rosa....a rebuilder of the walls. I thank God that He has allowed us to come alongside such spiritual giants and refresh them. Isn't God amazing? Yes, I am working with adoption issues, ...yes Gary is working on buildings/vehicles...but our main job??? we're rebuilding walls...a restorer of homes. Are we doing a million jobs in-between? Yes...and we are able to do this because God has asked us to do it. He provides the much needed strength, faith and humor that is needed to make it through each day.

This morning I helped some of the older staff to color their hair. Karen...where are you when I need you??? Anyway...it's totally different down here. They mixed about 7 things together and stirred it with a stick and asked me to color their hair with it. I did...but I smiled told them I wouldn't guarantee the results...no money back :) . I warned them that their hair might all fall out and we'd look like twins. They just smiled and said...aw Linda...it's OK. So, I told them they should read on the directions how long to leave it in. They didn't know where the directions were...so as I walked away...I suggested that they not leave it in their hair over 40 minutes. I just saw 2 of them a couple of minutes ago out my window...it's still in their hair...it's been over an hour. If they are thinking their hair will be blonde...it's not happening. By what I read...it said dark brown...and their hair is already jet black. Oh well. Karen Isley...if you have any old hair color or lighteners...I know who would like to use them. Maybe even a couple of colors to give them depth. You know the routine and rules. If because of your licensing you can't answer this blog plea...just use my e-mail. I'll never tell. :)

Today is Mark and Jean's last day...their flight leaves at 6:00 in the morning. They spent the night at our house last night and will again tonight. I can see it in their eyes. Their hearts are breaking and they haven't even left yet. I tear up to even think of how they are feeling. Roger and Luanne, Chad and Christi...the next time you come for your kids...there will be no more good-byes for Ramon and Marta...only hellos. You've been down a long hard path...but you'll look back on these past few months and say they've been good, because God has been closer to you than ever before. He is faithful.

Oh yeah, I wanted to tell you about last Thursday morning...it was awesome. Gary's cough was getting worse again with a fever. He is the typical man who is allergic to Doctor offices, etc. So, during the staff devotions...God sent a doctor to the orphanage. He doesn't regularly come here at all...and he just stopped here and was wondering if there was anything we needed. He talked with Gary and checked him out and then had him stop by at the private hospital that evening where he works in Aldama and gave Gary some meds that worked wonders. The fever is gone and the cough is almost gone. Thank you, Jesus.

One last thing. Hey FRED and ROGER...NO...I am not Samson. I did not lose my strength to post on the blog just because of my shaved head. YOU BOYS ARE MUY MALO!

16 comments:

fred said...

Hello Linda.... ( Linda means Pretty) Am glad that you are back on the air, we be missing you..now, whats with this "Samson" who has been saying what?? Even the corn has ears, I was thinking maybe that place where Roger works would donate a used 9 passenger van or something, maybe I should e-mail Scott???Hey!!! them army guys you saw down there busting drug rings....maybe a confiscated van would help....where is that gov't guy that was coming down there..anywho....keep up the good works....and we will take care of Samson....Deliah...er I mean Linda.

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda..it's Rog. Just for the record, it must have been Fred who said something about Samson, because you know I would never do that. Luanne and I are really getting excited to say " Hi" to Ramon with no Good-byes. It doesn't seem real, but I know it is "Praise God". We've already commented on things that have happened and said it's a good thing God is in control or this or that would have happened. It's hard for us "American Christians" to exercise complete faith in God because we like to be actively involved if not running things ourselves and I'm just as guilty as the rest...Before I say good-bye, please tell Ramon to stay away from the girls, they're getting jealous up here. Love you all!!

Merm's blog said...

I am amazed by everything I am reading and seeing through this here blog. Thank you so much for sharing!
I can hardly wait to see you all... and the KIDS in just a few days. yipee!

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

Guess What...We (Fekkens & Huizengas) got a e-mail from Mexico. Here is a copy of it.

Congratulations, Martha Bethlehem Huizenga and Ramon Fekken are officially adopted!
Today the supreme court magistrates published the sentences for . The 2nd magistrate did us the favor to resolve it in just two days. We're pushing to get the files back to the lower court tomorrow and make the rest of the certified copies so we'll be setting the appointments at the civil register on Friday.

Can both families be here on Monday 25th at 8 am?

Barb said...

Praise God!!! Congratulations to the new parents. Safe travel!

Merm's blog said...

i got a little teary reading that email... and i am so thankful Lauren and I will be there to see those kids off to their new home. praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

It's Rog....Fred, you're in charge of the blog while we're gone to Mexico to pick up our kids.

Anonymous said...

It's Rog again, If you think us going to Mexico was good news, wait until you hear this. Linda called tonight to tell us that Ramon accepted the Lord as his Savior. Praise God!!! It does'nt get any better than that! I've got tears running down my face. Thanks for all your prayers.

Mamaria said...

Praise the Lord! I am hooked to this blog!
Congratulations to the families and their adopted children!
I am from Mass (Westfield Evangelical Free Church) and right now Keith and Becky are down there... we are praying for all of you who are volunteering and helping these kids.
I love reading this blog. Keep it up! And God Bless you!

Barb said...

God is good and we can never out pray His goodness. We'll bath Roman in prayer. His life is changing more than we can imagine...he has a new Jesus, a new mom, a new dad, a new family, a new home here, a new home eternity and a new church family. I dido Roger...it doesn't get much better than that. We have a very big God, the greatest KING.

fred said...

What can I say...GOD has indeed Blessed you my Friends...Hallejiah Maranatha Praise My Jesus..... Hallejiah Maranatha Praise My LORD Thats where it's at !!!!....Hard to type , the screen is kinda blurry here...Now I AM ALL FIRED Up ....Sorry O'Bamaa, Thats just how I feel....I LOVE EVERYBODY !!! (in CHRIST).....just for you Honey....Later You All....We are planning on being there on the 29th ( primero DIOS) all charged up!!!!.....we need more volunteers to go with us as there is a work projest and we need some muscle...I am going as a cheer leader...I think....no megaphone, just a shovel....Fred

Lauren Taylor said...

oh, wow. Fekkens & Huizengas-praise god that your kids are coming home! yep, crying at my desk. really cool. and i imagine there will be more tears next week. can't wait to be there...2 more days. :)and praise the lord for ramon's decision to follow christ. that's even better news.

i'm praying.

Anonymous said...

We are sooo thankful. In one hour my parents and Chad and Christi will be on a plane to Mexico. Even more exciting then that...which is sooo hard to beat is Ramon's decision to follow Christ. I'm a very happy and proud big sister! Love you guys. Praying for a quick safe return. Then Mark and I are Mexico bound. Can't wait to see you all...Lauren and Mary Ellen too!!

Anonymous said...

Great is Thy faithfulness - Oh, how He loves to dazzle us in the eleventh hour. His eyes have looked two and fro and is blessing each of you directly involved in this adoption process... what a great reminder... Praises to our FEARLESS LEADER!

Anonymous said...

hello testing

Jay said...

Our congrats and best wishes to Ramon, Martha, and their new parents! We look forward to seeing pictures and celebrating many more successful adoptions.
Jay, Traci, & Mariah