Thursday, June 18, 2009

It rained...


Marcela and Brisa




Alondra and Gabby!




I found Ana reading to Toniot...her bro. It was a very precious moment to watch. I love the tender family ties.




Lorena and Lupita




Briza and Cielo...how cute. Mark and Chandra...your girls keep asking for you!!!




Tia Christina and Marisol




Movie/nap time!!!




Eliodoro





Julian





Everyone welcomed Brenda home!





Ahhh...Marcela. She is so beautiful!





Brenda arriving back at the airport in Chihuahua. She had a great time!




Luis and Tonito on their way to school!




No gusta snakes!!!





Ana Karen and her pretty hairdo! I'm serious!




While Betsy was sewing purses for the girls, Sid was handing ou candy!




I don't know this Javier too well YET, but I'm working on it. He is mentally handicapped and very loving.




Chewy! What a great kid!




Aurelio!





The Spanish story books are a big hit!




Off to school! This was the last day for secondaria. The high school seniors are finished as well.




Israel running to catch the bus. He made it!




Jovana and Isael




Smiles and kisses!!!




Mary Ellen and Lauren...are ya jealous yet?????





Sid and his followers!




Ready for school!




Any ideas as to what this is?





Is it a fungus thing?




Mama overseeing morning chores.




Tia Selsa and me





Ana, Brisa, Ruby and Lupita




Ana Karen, Ana, Brisa, Ruby, Christian (what is he doing here?) and Lupita




(back to front) Hosea Angel, Isael, Ana, Brisa, Ruby, Christian and Lupita




Felipe!




Tia Sonya and Tia Selsa and ninos. Notice the tree...




Olver. He is a prince of a kid!





Lupita, Briza, Jazmine and Marisol




Lupita!




Julio and Ramon




At least it was dead!




Don't you love Jackies hair???




Mama feeding Andrea




Marcos




Eggs + chili = YUMMM! Hungry, Fred???




Vicki



This morning Betsy and Sid took Belem and me to Chihuahua because Belem and Johana's mom wanted to discuss terminating her parental rights. EVERY TIME THIS HAPPENS I AM AMAZED TO SEE HOW SATAN FIGHTS! It is amazing. We had to be at DIF with the mom by noon. We left 3 1/2 hours early. Needless to say, we had tons of time obstacles that prevented getting her at DIF. We are doing this again in the morning...only I'm taking Belem lots earlier. I feel like God is leading us to do this...but the evil darkness is putting up a battle. The good news...Greater is He Who is in me than he that is in the world! AMEN!

Remember me bragging about passing out candy for the pictures so the kids would 'come to me'? Well...that was dumb. They keep coming...over and over and I have encouraged to kids to ask me to take their pic even more than before. Oh my. Live and learn.

Eliodoro is a unique kid. He appears to be very tough and distant. So, I decided to set my radar on him and spend time with him. This tough guy is so sweet and soaks up all the attention. Mama took him with us on Monday to help lift some of the heavy things we purchased. We took the truck and he wanted to ride in back (who could blame the kid for not wanting to ride in front with two old ladies)! Anyway, when we shop for Lily, we buy in bulk. I would ask him to put certain quanities on the cart and he would only put one on. It didn't take long before I realized he can't count. Even when I asked him to load 2 bags...he would load one and then look at me to see if I would ask for another. He hears, but does not understand. This is very typical of many children here. They can't read, write or count. When children arrive here at age 10-17 and can't read...the school won't take them. Then, they are kept at the orphanage during the day and they do chores since there is no one to teach them. My heart aches for a teacher to come and work with these kids. They are bright kids, but no one has taken time to invest in their precious lives. I started teaching Eliodoro English words. He knows 'pink' (of course that's the first word I would teach him) and 'blue' and 'black'. Even this morning he has remembered them. These kids have so much potential...but as of now...no hope.

It rained today and we have very cool weather...in the upper 70's (heavenly). The past couple of days Sid said it has been in the 100's. This Michigan girl has enjoyed the 70's today. And I will end with a praise. Water tonight! I flushed the toilet the regurlar way (without pouring water out of a bucket) and showered in my own building. Life doesn't get much better than this. Sam and Jared have been working on this since the first of the week. I will bake them a special treat for sure!!!

I love it down here. I love these kids....their little hands, sweaty smiles, their singing, happy smiles and hugs. I love the staff. They work hard but their life is simple and their God is big.

6 comments:

Chad -n- Christi Huizenga said...

Great pictures and update thanks again! We sent our group off Thursday morning, they are conditioning for 120 children by being packed into a 15 passenger van for 2 1/2 days. Is Adriana and her sibling still there hiding in the shadows? Thanks for checking. "Chilo"

MamaTod said...

Linda, the hand looks sort of like the stuff I used to get because I'm allergic to some detergents, lotions, etc. In other words, a topical allergy. I would try a cortisone cream on it and vaseline with a sock on it during the night to soften it and help it heal. Tell the afflicted person they can't wash dishes any more! My allergy is to something in the dish detergent, probably glycerin.

Merm's blog said...

Thanks for all the fun pictures of my parents! Can't wait to hear about their experience from them. Yipee! :)
Yes. I'm jealous. But I know my time will come... October?!
I hope the rest of your trip is blessed and FUN. I'll be checking back obsessively to see when you post again.:) Love you!

Lauren Taylor said...

Just as I got to the picture of Jackie and Sid I thought "How many vacation days will I have in October? Could I be gone longer than a week?" and then I scrolled down to see what you'd written- "Are you jealous yet?" Of course!!! But, like Mermy said- our time will come (God willing!). Pretty much daily I think about how far away October is. It'll be here before we know it, right?

Unknown said...

On the inside of the book Ana is readying, I wrote (remember, I'm a beginning, self taught, Spanish student), "Te queiro. Lee a los ninos."

So, I'm doubly pleased to see the photo of Ana reading to her little brother. I love that girl.

Unknown said...

Make that quiero. I'm also a beginning typist.