Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Showers of Blessing!

Lily has been praying for rain for several months and we had a nice rain last evening. I’m thinking it would hardly register on my rain gauge back home, but they were happy here. The teen girls who live in the building next to us were dancing in it outside my window. It’s things like this that check my heart and make me realize how I need to: 1. Not take things for granted. 2. Really celebrate answers to prayer. 3. Realize how fortunate I am to live in an area where water is not such a rare commodity. 4. Practice dancing before the Lord as part of my worship. God is so faithful. I should be dancing more. I’ve had many precious conversations down here with the staff, children and local vendors. Last night I sat down with Dionisio, a ten year old who has been at Lily only a few months. He was born with a deformed hand. His fingers are just stubs the size of a pea or smaller yet and his heart is filled with anger. He despises school, where he is mercilessly bullied for his deformity as well as being an ‘orphan’. As I looked into his dark eyes, my heart melted. Behind his tough exterior is a terrified little boy. He has been bounced around from one place to another and he is afraid. I began by telling him about my son-in-law Neal who lost his left hand in a mowing accident at age 4. He excelled in school, was the starting pitcher for his large school and excelled in sports. Now he is married with a beautiful family and pastoring a church. His eyes lit up. I told Dionisio that he has more of an arm left than my son-in-law and that the sky was the limit for him The only thing that is lacking in his life is his relationship with God and that is the most important thing. He wasn’t ready to listen to the plan of salvation but seeds were planted. Would you join me in praying for his precious heart? I believe that God has big plans for this guys life. Also, yesterday, I had the opportunity to share with a man named Ricardo about my hope in Christ. On Friday our group will be returning to the market where he works and I told him that I would like to talk to him more about the Christian tract I gave him. He promised he would read it and that we would be able to talk more. Please lift his name before the Lord as well. His pic is the last one on the blog for today. Yesterday morning began with many screams in the kitchen where the staff as well as several of our teens were working. Then everyone was either running out or jumping up on the counters. The culprit? A rat. We sent in the rat slayers…Pastor Ryan, Calvin Roskam and Josh McGhan. After brooms swishing around under the oven and pulling things out, it darted for the cafeteria (which caused even more screaming). I did not realize that those things even crawled up walls. I now understand that my position on top of the counter was not very smart. Regardless. The hero? Actually all those men were but Calvin Roskam ended the rat's life of terrorism. This man can kill a rat with a dust mop! I believe his pic was posted on yesterday’s pics. Last evening the group put on a program for their weekly evening service. All the teens did an amazing job. Before the meal the teens put together a few hundred bologna/cheese sandwiches and provided chips and pop (which is a real treat for the kids). During the program our teens did a puppet show, sang 2 songs and Anna Hertzler gave her testimony. It was a really good evening. Parents, you should be proud. Everyone worked together as a team and they were amazing. After it all ended our team helped clean off tables, swept the floors and mopped them. Ladies…these men can mop! Take note! ;) The staff at Mears Service Center gave such a generous donation for the children that I was able to purchase ‘pallettas’ (ice cream bars) for all the children. As you can see, they were so excited. When Rosa made the announcement that these were from Tio Gary’s business, they were so excited! After we finished for the evening, we had many sandwiches, chips, pop and ice cream bars left over so we hopped in our vans and drove to Miseracordia (Mercy Orphanage). This is a much smaller, poorer home and the director was very happy with our donation. When we opened up the refrigerator…it was pretty much empty. They had just received some donations that day of vegetables, but they really didn’t have anything substantial to fill all those tummies. I am guessing that there were approximately 50 children there. Some of the pics I posted were of the children of that orphanage. I know that about 3 years ago, there were approximately 35 orphanages in the Chihuahua area. Very heart breaking. The 5 pics after Josh McGhan mopping were taken at the other orphanage. Our work project for the Lily team is painting the teen boys’ buildings at El Mimbre. They work from early morning to around 2 in the afternoon. By then they are exhausted from the sun/heat so they return to the dorm to sleep or rest. This evening our team will be providing a staff appreciation dinner. Please pray that this will be a blessing to everyone. The folowing is a message from Grant who is up in Guachochi: ( I received it last evening but was unable to post due to the weather. Unfortunately the pics are not uploading. I have forwarded this message to my husband who will forward this to the church so everyone can enjoy the pictures. If you don't receive the church's e-mails, then contact my husband, Gary Beggs. He will find a way for you to view the pictures of your family members. I am hoping that the pics I receive this evening will be able to be posted like all the others. It is not Grant's fault, but mine. My husband is my computer brain and unfortunately I am without him/it. ;) Here are the photos from today. Sorry I wasn't able to send anything yesterday, Pastor Enrique's car overheated so it took us longer to arrive. Once we arrived we immediately played with the kids and joined them for dinner. After dinner we took a trip to tour the new facility and also visited P. Enrique's church (and the park next to it). Overall our group has done an amazing job of loving on the kids and embracing the culture. The temporary orphanage here has been a real reality check for the team and has helped everyone to realize how spoiled we are in our own lives. Today we began working at the new facility. This included clearing rocks/debris around the facility and preparing to build the chicken coup/pig pen. Hope all is going well with you guys! God Bless, Grant "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13

No comments: