Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Team Michigan is here!

I apologize for the poor internet connection. It is currently not allowing me to upload any pictures. As soon as it cooperates...I've got a lot to post!!! I've tried to post pictures for over 2 hours now..and it's just not working. I'll edit them in later!!! Hey Rog and Fred...just chill out...they're coming!

Another team from Michigan is here...this time it's a team from northern Michigan! They arrived Saturday night and have been busy ever since. Most of the team has been working on the plumbing for the new boys dining hall. It's been a lot of work but they have been up for the task. Today Terry, a leader in their group, has been working on power-washing the casitas (playground) and then he will repair broken boards,etc. and then stain it. It will be a much needed improvement!!!

Tensions have been high...the health department will be coming tomorrow to inspect EVERYTHING!!! Buildings, kitchen, bathrooms, children (lice & ringworm) and sleeping quarters. Even every mattress is inspected. Rosa is praying for an understanding inspector...me too!

Two days ago the police brought a boy who was lost. He is slightly mentally handicapped...but nothing severe...in fact it's barely noticeable. We just received word that his parents are searching for him...and he'll be reunited tomorrow. He is from a poor section of town...but he was cared for and loved. Reunions like this will be good for me to experience. Too often children are brought in and not wanted.

Tomorrow we may be receiving a 5 yr. old little boy. His mother tried to drown him in a lake...and failed...he survived. What must be going through his little mind? I just can't imagine all the pain in his little life right now. I am praying that DIF does bring him here so he will hear about a God who will never leave him or forsake him. I will try not to smoother this boy too much...but I want to hold him and love on him as much as I can. My heart is breaking for him.

Last night the Michigan group spoiled us with another cook-out and bon fire. Talk about fun! This was another night when the children laughed, danced around, loved on the Americans and they were able to get another glimpse of what a 'normal' child might experience. I love it!

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a boy who was adopted from this orphanage about 1 1 /2 years ago. His family (from Minnesota) are in Chihuahua for a mission trip and he is visiting the orphanage for a few days. He is a very delightful young man and fun to talk with. I asked him what it was like being adopted...if it was really a good thing. (In my heart I believed it was...but I needed to heart it from him.) He was very quick to tell me that it was the best thing that ever happened to him. He said his favorite part is that he has his own mom and dad. He loves his house, Christian school and other things...but having his own mom and dad was at the top of his list. I asked him if he would recommend adoption...and he said a big DEFINITELY!!! That was all I needed to hear. I know his family must have had some rough bumps along the path...but he is a wonderful young man who has a twinkle in his eye, filled with confidence...and deep joy in his heart. Thank you, Jesus, for this family who stepped out of their comfort zone and adopted him! I am praying for more Christian moms and dads who will open their hearts to another child. All they need is a chance. This life is not all about us...our comfort...our wants. It's about sacrifice and serving others. Is it easy? Not always...but taking the focus off of yourself changes the way we view everything. There are 143 million orphans in the world. Do you have an empty bedroom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Linda-I'm still waiting!!! I'm going from chilling to freezing!!! That may be because of where we live, if you can still remember that far back. But I'll try to be patient.

Rog