Thursday, March 20, 2008

Fiesta Time!!!! Happy Birthday Tio Gary!!!


Feliz Cumpleanos Tio Gary!!!




Ed taking a moment to thank God for Gary's life. They are becoming great friends!




Lots of love!




Team Arkansas gave Gary a cherished Razorback football shirt.




Marcela and Ana helping celebrate!




Flor, a new girl, enjoying the icecream...a huge treat!!!




Gary going after the Pinata!




Mireya joining in on the fun...another who also shares a March birthday!




Ed helping a wheelchair-bound guest take a swing...




Everyone scampering for the candy...young and old! It was amazing!!!




Jesus, Johana and Angel enjoying a big chocolate brownie and ice cream!




3 large tins of ice cream disappeared FAST!




Brian and Beto showing off their treasure!!!




Brenda just loved the ice cream!




Brenda trying on Uncle Gary's new cowboy hat! Pretty cute!!!




Aurelio and Angel wishing Gary a happy birthday!




Jazmine and her pinata hat!!!



TEAM ARKANSAS IN CHARGE OF EVENING DEVOTIONS...













Mama and Ramon dancing when no one was around...it was a special moment for both! She believes that someday he will walk.




Oliver helping me in the kitchen making brownies...good thing he has a strong stirring arm!




Briseyda, Andrea and Mary hanging out...




Mary and Briseyda




Praise songs are always so much fun!!!

Turning 51 at Lily can be quite the celebration. This year Gary's birthday gift from me was homemade chocolate brownies and ice cream for everyone!!! The evening fiesta began after a great service by Team Arkansas. They presented a skit and devotional for the kids and they did a super job. Then, we strung up Pinatas, ate brownies and ice cream and had fun!!! I just loved seeing the joy in the children's eyes as they giggled and played around throughout the evening. I was wondering if ice cream was a first for some...especially the little boy who just arrived from the mountains. Everyone walked around with full pockets of candy that spilled out of the pinatas. We gave them lots of sugar and then sent them off to bed!!! Hope they brushed their teeth...ha!

Today it was noon before I could catch my breath. I am a person that loves structure and organization (and so is Gary)...so what in the world are we doing here? Besides the fact that I think God has a big sense of humor, God placed a burden on our hearts to come. My devotional time gets bumped to different times throughout the day and at times I have a dazed look that often comes with young mothers who are pulled in many directions. I have sand between my toes, unmanicured nails, and more To-Do's on my list than my day allows...but I have never been happier. It amazes me how God can place a calling on your heart and when you obey...there is a deep joy and peace that the world doesn't understand. Right now Gary is sitting on the front porch (waiting for parts) with Santana. They are chatting away about little things...but the coolest thing...Gary is just being his dad. Santana is 20 and loves to come over and spend time with Gary. They sometimes just sit in silence...but there is a deep bond. If we came down here just for Santana...it would be worth it. My eyes are welling up with tears because of God's faithfulness. I am thinking of the struggle we had to get down here. It would have been so easy to quit...but I thank the Lord that He gave us the grace to push ahead. It wasn't us...it was all Jesus.

The kids are really excited about tomorrow. Crystal...our airline stewardess is coming to visit and stay for a couple of days. The children always see the airplanes fly over the orphanage but have never met someone who works on the planes. I am hoping that she will be able to bring her uniform for them to see!

Yesterday we got 4 more new children. This is really a good thing...for those of you who are shaking their heads. Our number of children has been low, and God is blessing us with more children we can help. The present staff is doing a great job of keeping up with things and we are greatly encouraged. Things seem chaotic...but it is an organized chaos. :)

We will be flying home April 9th. I am not excited to leave the children here, but we are looking forward to hugging our children and grandchildren in Michigan/Indiana. I have been told that in mid-April the rattlesnakes come out...so it is probably a good time to head north since I am such the snake lover. Actually, the rattlesnakes could save their venom with me. Just by looking at one and hearing their tail rattle, I would be toes-up. Easy prey.

5 comments:

Merm's blog said...

You are hilarious.
I love seeing how the Lord is using you all there through your service and here through the blog, emails and phone-counseling.. :) You are two very gifted people.

I can't wait to see you again in May! Gotta love a good reunion.

Please tell Gar-bear "Happy Birthday!" from the ladies in Kentucky. I have such a high respect for His sensitivity to the Lord's convictions and boldness in responding. Quite the fella, your husband. :) And, of course, you know how much I love you! :)

Enough of that sappiness.. (sp?) talk to you soon. Give hugs and such on my behalf, please.
peace,
maria elena

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gary!!!! Looks like you had a great one. Praying for you guys...especially as it is nearing time for you to leave. I can't imagine the roller coaster of emotions you must be on. Give all the kids a little love from us, especially our girls. We miss them terribly.

fred said...

Happy Birthday Hermano !!!! looks like lots of fun...I like your hat, you look like one of them good ol boys....love you hitting the pinata, that I would "pay" to see...April 9th is fast approaching, enjoy all you can, soon you will be like us, sniffling at the pics and wishing...I always look for my kids, weren't they there at the party??....keep them pic's coming really enjoying them, Marta is playing this Saturday at GVSU and inviting evryone to go....kinda far,hope she doesn't get discoraged if a lot of people don't go.....will be praying for her...Praying for you guys and the Hogar too.....Fred

Anonymous said...

It' Rog--- Hey Gary, the cowboy hat is you man. Just put NAPA on the front and you're all set.

I have a perminate co-pilot now whenever we go anywhere. Ramon has to do everything but operate the gas and brake pedals. He asked Fred when I was going to teach him to drive. He's got his eyes on the Camaros.

Anyway, I wanted to wish you a "Happy Birthday" and let you know I would make sure the airlines had a wheelchair ready for you on your return home. I know you would be worried about that.

Keep up the good work. We are praying for you guys daily!!

Rog

P.S. Any news about Lorena??

Deb Haner said...

Happy Birthday Burr Head!

Love, Kim & Deb