Thursday, March 13, 2008

Sometimes you win...sometimes you smell tuna


Tia Selsa and sweet Leticia!!!




Angel's haircut!




Handsome Lewis!




The twins!!! Double fun!!!





Crazy Luis!




Israel outside his highschool!







A tired Andrea




Alberto found a lock of someone's hair...the Elvis look!




Another awesome sunet! Thank you, Jesus!!!




A crazy Brenda




Sweet Johana!




Me and little Javier. He was our biggest stinker when we arrived and now he's our pal.




Marcella and Sergio...a special brother and sister!




Handsome Oliver!




Antonio the Great!!!




Hair cutting night...




Leslie...what a sweetheart.




Ever, Rigo and Armondo. The older students help the younger students off the bus.




Jazmine, Ruby and Karlo scrubbing the bus down!




They are the greatest!!!




A tired Armondo.



I woke up to a beautiful day...the birds were singing and my sense of smell has finally started to return from this nasty cold! I walked into the cafeteria this morning- ready to take on the world...and then I smelled...you guess it...tuna. That old devil was trying to take away my joy...but, thank you, Jesus, it is deeper than tuna and eggs. I'll just say, "Praise the Lord...anyhow!" The bread was good!

Today we are experiencing a blizzard. Visability is low and the winds are ferocious as they howl outside the casa. The differences between this blizzard and the blizzards from Michigan are extreme. The temperature is in the low 90's and what is blowing through the air is not cold, clean, or refreshing. It is a dust that is easy to inhale and it has the capabilities to sandblast buildings and people. The good thing about Michigan blizzards is once you get home...you stay home. Here...it is business as usual...which means you are continually blasted! We keep the windows closed in our house to keep some of the dust out...otherwise it would be very cloudy in here. But since the A/C does NOT work in any of the vehicles we drive...we are breathing the dust in huge gulps as we drive with all the windows open.

For those of you who have never had the privilege of meeting Leticia...you've missed out in life. She is a very humble, sweet & beautiful girl that helps out with the handicap/small boys casa with Tia Mica. From what I've gathered from her she is 13 years old and has been here several months. Her 11 year old brother is at another orphanage a few miles away. It is very aparent that Leticia is Tatamaharan Indian which quickly explains her outer beauty. But what I can't get over is the inner beauty this precious girl has. I don't think you could find a more loyal friend than her. If anyone needs a job one...she does it with this georgeous smile that melts your heart. Today I asked her to accompany me as I picked up the pre-school - Kin. from school (it really is like the ping-pong ball illustration...Dorothy you're right!). Anyway, she of course was happy to help. On the way home I saw her cuddling little Hosea Miguel, rocking him on her lap and singing a song to him. Where did she learn how to do it? Does she remember her mom rocking her and singing little songs to her? And then on my second glance I saw that empty, distant and yearning look in her eyes...and I am still blinking back tears from it. At that moment I could see she was wanting a mommy to hold her and cuddle her. Sweet Leticia that always wears a smile has a broken, empty heart. When we got back home I held her for awhile and she melted in my arms and wept. Her good friend, Katie (from Michigan) was leaving today which probably made her feel even more alone. Please help me pray for Leticia. She does not attend school...does not know how to read, does not know her birthday and can barely write her name...but she is such a special girl to me. I ran right over to the office to pull her file for a birth date...but I found none. There is probably no record of her birth...and I'm guessing she is from the mountains. Please help me pray for her and her brother Jesus. Her brother is very happy at the orphanage he is at and doesn't want to leave so they can be together...but I know she misses him a lot. My mind is reeling toward adoption possibilities...and I haven't really even explored her file...but guess what I'm doing tomorow! I'm going to post a picture of Leticia so you can pray for her...and her name will have a face.

We have two groups arriving this evening...one from Arkansas and the other from Texas. The kids are always so excited to have visitors from the states! Plus, the next two weeks are Easter Vacation...so there will be kids here 24/7 (it tires me out just to think about it). Papa and Mama have several outings planned for the kids...so we will be busy! During that time Papa and Gary are taking the older boys on a Father/Son retreat. I'm planning a teen girl sleepover that night at my casa which should be fun. We still haven't had the ladies staff breakfast yet...gotta fit that in too. Between marriage enrichment videos for all the married couples (which Ed interprets), staff devotions, adoption/DIF updates, transporting kids from here to there...we feel like we meet ourselves coming and going. It has never been a problem to fall asleep at nights around here...we feel lucky to make it from the shower to our bed once we stop for the day. (I have never fallen asleep standing up...but in the relaxing shower after a LONG day...I've come close! Keep praying for our health. Gary said he feels human today...which is good. I am still battling a bad cold...and I'm anxious to feel 'normal' too.

Oh yeah...the haircutting squad was here last night. Many children got their hair cut from the beauty school students. There were no girls with shaved heads...which was good...but a few of the older girls had a moment of weakness and asked to have their hair cut. Fred and Barb...I won't tell you how much hair was on the floor after they finished Brenda. :) One thing about hair...it always grows out. I am living proof that you can survive a haircut. Last evening I tried to talk Gary into letting them cut his hair since he is looking a bit shaggy...but he turned the offer down. So...this morning he decided he wanted me to cut his hair...after I was up through the night coughing,etc. Well, let me tell you...he should have taken his chances last night. Something happened and we had a mohawk going on. Finally I just evened it all out...so he is pretty much bald. I am reminding him today..."for better...for worse." and I don't think it could be worse. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Linda, you've heard the old adage about how the longer you're married, the more you look alike? Perhaps the matching short haircuts have something to do with that. ;)

The word from my HHS students is that the girls soccer club is all abuzz and looking forward to having Marta play.

And Ben told me after talking to Marta that he realized just how much Spanish he still has to learn!

Love to all, Dorothy

fred said...

Yo Linda.....am back, had to spend the night in Houston as we left Chihuahua 3 hours later, as they couldn't receive us in Houston due to bad weather...am sitting here thinking about the soccer game, sorry I cant be there physically but am in spirit....plesae let me know how our boys make out, am very interested...spent some time with Marta yesterday,thanks to Kristy, who let us go and have lunch together at La Fiesta....anyhow, am looking forward to church this Sunday, maybe a little surprise....will see what the LORD has in store for us....si se puede....love that little phrase the kids used at the soccer game.....Later you all,Fred

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you are all still coughing down there! Ughhh...we are finally starting to feel human again. Thank the Lord. It has been a long week, but it sounds as if we have much to be thankful for after hearing Mark's update from Linda. I know the battle isn't over yet so we will just keep fervently praying.

I spent the day at Isaac's wrestling match and SHS is all a buzz as well. They are very excited about Ramon being there and what he will add to their soccer team. Actually he is making quite a few friends and doing great. I don't think a smile has really left his face yet...except for when he was sleeping in my dad's recliner last night and woke up to us all harrassing him...but it returned soon after :-) He's an awesome kid. All of our kids are thrilled he's here. He kind of fits right into this crazy family....haha.

Well...as always...love and prayers.

fred said...

Yo !!!,,,,still thinking about the soccer game....when I was there I overheard the boys talking about how they were "short" on momey to pay....they have to pay the referee to officiate at the games, I asked what the problem was and they said they were a little short, they pay 25 pesos each team,so I putit up and they gave me back what they had collected, Had I thought about it, I would have given them 100 pesos for their next4 games, I only mention it because I am sure that if the Americans knew they would contribute and gladly pay for the game, which is like $2.50 our money. Just thought I would throw that in, in case there are some fans that feel the same way I do. Thanks.....Fred