Peek-a-boo Baby April!!!
Jazmine
Esther doing her magic. YUM!
Marble games are as big as the olympics down here!!!
Jennifer and Adilene
Maggie April & Lucia
Israel
Cards anyone? They didn{t cheat too bad.
Fred and Adilene talking...she really enjoys talking to him.
April dressed for the day.
Roger and Lorena
Beautiful Marcela
Maggie
Jackie at her farewell.
April eating breakfast on her own.
Jackie
Spic and span!
Marcos filling up all the cups.
Jackie & Armondo
Fred and Julian
Angel being tutored by Samuel.
Daniel & Maggie
Adondra
Javier...the drummer boy.
Some children playing with an old juice bottle.
Boni, Fred, Brenda and Samuel
Nico and a parakeet he found.
I don{t know what became of the poor bird.
Andrea
Javier still needs his a.m. coffee
Briza, Andrea, Roger, Cielo and Lorena
Jean, Leslie & Mark
Jean, Leslie, Angel, Mark & Jazmine
Boni, Fred & Samuel
Boni, Fred, Brenda & Samuel
Today Jackie said good-bye to Lily. There were plenty of tears shed by everyone. She was such a blessing. For a young person to give up their summer to serve the orphans is a huge thing. They have given up friendships, put relationships on hold and endured many difficult situations for Jesus. I read the other day in my newest favorite book that there is no such thing as sacrifice for Jesus. Why? Because He always repays us richly for whatever we have given up. A sacrifice is when you give something up with nothing in return. Jesus always richly rewards either on earth or in heaven. My favorite part to think about??? Jackie was a lion chaser this summer. I am sure the Mass. Church will welcome her home as the genuine heroine she is.
When I think of heroines, my thoughts also go to Lauren and Mary Ellen. Their bodies are in Kentucky, but their hearts are with the children at Lily. Lauren, they are now planning on using that new classroom as a place where the children will return from school to do their homework. They are praying for a teacher to come and tutor the children after school, and I’m thinking that would be a perfect classroom setting to tutor the older kids and adults who can’t read or write during the day some time. Of course, if they could find someone who always has a great relationship with the children already…that would be a plus.
The Riley family took off today to spend the day together and they plan on visiting Manuel and Raphael as well as Perla. I am so excited for them. There are many things they are hoping to do and I’m sure they’re going to have a super time. They all have needed this visit.
Roger and Fred were planning on leaving early this morning until Papa said that he needs someone to get the blue truck running. Even though Roger is allergic to Fords, I think these guys are up for the task. Little does Roger know that because it is a Ford, it is still able to keep going around here. These vehicles really take a beating. After leaving twice (it’s hard to believe they forgot something), I think they are one their way back to Michigan. We never did get copies of the key made. Oh well. I told them to give my Prince a kiss and a hug for me. Not really sure if that will happen. Seeing them drive away gives me the feeling I did the first time my kids left for Kindergarten…wondering if they will make it. I’ve got to remember how big God is. He does miracles every day! I’ve got a hunch their ride up north will be a bit longer…because all the adrenaline is gone. We’ll see.
This coming Monday the Junior High School starts. High School started this week. Elementary will wait a few more days. They actually attend the same amount of days as the schools in the states, but they have longer vacation times during the school year (according to Papa). The children are all excited to attend school…it is a privilege for them. Several back packs and school supplies were brought down. That is a blessing. Thank you, everyone!
For those of you who remember little Armondo and his brother and sister, Oscar and Katy. Rosa said the mother seldom visits now. The amazing thing is how they are always watching for her. In fact, when a vehicle drives in that is not a government vehicle, the children all turn their eyes on it. Deep down in their little hearts I believe they still have hope. I was talking to one of the girls yesterday, she still believes her parents will some day come for her…even though it’s been over 4 years. I probably would have given up years ago…but maybe not. I guess I remember while growing up I always wondered if my blood-mother would look me up. It never happened then, but I must admit I still dreamed of it. I finally met my blood mother after I was married and had children. We have a good relationship now, but it was nothing like I dreamed.
Papa challenged the children today to practice the art of being content where we are. We spent time praying for Marta and Ramon in Michigan as well as Susana, Jose and other children who have been adopted. He told them that God has placed them where they are today…and today we have to be content where we are at. That’s not only good advice for children but for us adults too. I could see the struggle with that challenge in the eyes of some of the children who have been begging me for a family. But, then I thought of the stir in my heart to be living here now. I think that in our Christian life, we try to order God around (prayer requests) and we don’t step back and let Him be God. Ok, I’m sure you don’t struggle with that…but I must admit that I have. I need to simply trust God’s wisdom and let Him be God. Then I can praise Him with a light and joyous heart. In my newest favorite book the author said, “There are two types of people in the world. Complainers and worshipers…and there isn’t much circumstantial difference between the two. One focuses on God and the other zeros in on their circumstances.” He also said, “Don’t let what’s wrong with you keep you from worshipping what’s right with God!” It’s like hitting the refresh button on our computer. I am learning to rest where God has me and worship. Refresh…Refresh…Refresh. These children are teaching me how to do this. The joy on their faces and the simple trust in their hearts challenges me. Hello…they are living in an orphanage, they are rejected/abandoned/abused but they sing with the joy of the Lord. When they sing the song, “Yes, Lord, Yes”, it is from their hearts. “I’m trading my sorrows, I’m trading my pain, I’m trading it all for the joy of the Lord….Yes, Lord, Yes, Lord, Yes! Yes! Yes! (Pretty simple, huh? Refresh, Refresh, Refresh!)
Mary Ellen, the same young man is working at the Internet CafĂ© that had all those questions about God and Christianity. I’ve had some good conversations with him…and will be giving him The Purpose Driven Life to read next time I see him. He knows about religion, but he doesn’t know Jesus. Please pray.
Did I mention that it has been HOT? Makes me so glad I’m going to heaven! Finally, today, it is clouding over a bit to bring some relief. Yesterday on the way to Chihuahua, it clouded up and rained. The temp dropped from the 90’s to 69 for a brief moment….then up again.
The walk-in refrigerator went out and it was discovered today when things were rotting. Oh the smell…! Some white pipe broke and now it doesn’t work. Gary, where are you? We’re going to have a great big meal for lunch…because we are trying to eat everything up that hasn’t rotted yet. After passing on the scrambled eggs and tuna this morning (my favorite), I am ready for a good meal. I have eaten almonds and string cheese I brought…but I’m ready for a change. The meals here are usually great, but I’ve had to miss a few of them while working on things.
Some organization brought us tons of produce on Wednesday. We’ve eaten bananas like crazy and everyone has enjoyed it! We were even able to share 20 boxes of bananas with other orphanages and the mountain Indians. How fun! Tons of papayas too!
Hey…news update!!! Mark Riley experienced his first hot flash yesterday. I guess he’s about the right age. You’ll have to ask him about it.
Today is a big cleaning day…especially at the new girl’s dorm. They have a dedication service planned August 26th for it. Also, this Monday, Ed has been asked to give a 5 minute ‘speech’ at a big meeting with the governor and area businessmen. Please pray for him as he is seeking wisdom from God. 5 minutes is such a short time to tell about a big God.
Mary, Alondra keeps asking when you are coming back. I’m telling ya, you made her feel like a princess!
Please pray for a young man who visited Lily today from a rehab home. His name is Miguel. He is 1 month and 15 days free from drugs...and I mean free. What an awesome testimony he has of God{s deliverence. He is 17 and hasn{t finished school. I think God is calling him into the ministry. How could we get him to the states for further education. Can someone check into this?
I don{t know how many pics I can label. New cafe and computer...as you can tell by the wrong things appearing. It{s hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Arff! Arff!
1 comment:
So, here are the tears again. This time they flooded my shirt... you're messing with my heart. I hadn't read the last post yet, so I had a lot of catching up to do.
I'm so excited for all the adopting families. The Lord is so gracious.
I love you and your heart for that place. We're praying continually. I love the updates and the insane amount of time I know you're sacrificing to put them up. Hug a little extra hard tomorrow on my behalf. :)
Post a Comment